My name is Adrien Joly (he/him), based in Paris, France (CET).
Software engineer since 2006, I have worked mainly with start-up companies.
I care about producing software that is both durable and useful, by aligning and retrospecting regularly with technical and functional collaborators.
On this page, I share the types of services I can provide to your business, my background, values and availability.
I can help your business by providing the following services:
- Software Craft: I design, develop and maintain durable web-based software products and data integration pipelines, by applying TDD/DDD/BDD methodologies and pair/mob programming;
- Renovation and maintenance of legacy software: I industrialize and modernize production software by reducing their technical debt, in order to increase their robustness, performance and/or improve the efficiency of development;
- Tech leadership: I help team-members grow and align their practices, to make sure that they can work efficiently and that the codebase stays clean;
- Technical coaching: I can support the planning and animation of the cultural transformation of software teams. Custom training, pair coding on katas then on production code and/or coaching while contributing to an ongoing project.
- Strategic software consulting: I can act as an on-demand CTO, to audit your technical assets and provide recommendations on how to bootstrap or grow your business efficiently.
Always fascinated by computers, I wrote my first scripts and programs at the age of 6. During my career, I carried several roles in various environments:
- Research engineer and researcher, respectively at Gemalto and Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs;
- Technical leader in several startup companies, including Whyd and Algolia;
- Teacher in several schools, including EEMI, ESGI and Web School Factory; (in Paris)
- and I have developed and maintained many products as a contractor and entrepreneur – mostly open-source.
In terms of technical stack and skills:
- I’ve been developing software with Node.js (mostly) since 2012, but I’m used to learn new technologies and to adapt to different environments and constraints.
- I know how to setup, develop and maintain a software application across the stack: web and data pipeline development, automated testing, debugging, continuous integration, deployment, monitoring and other operations in production.
All my career, I’ve strived to grow as an efficient and accountable professional. As a person, I’m honest, open-minded and seek harmony – rather than competition – with my peers. I value people who share my thirst for life-long learning and sharing of knowledge.
I’m driven by:
- Relevance: Writing software that is useful, by taking the time to listen and understand the vision and goal of its owners and end-users;
- Pragmatism: Writing software efficiently, by discussing what’s the most impactful and lean next step we can implement towards reaching that goal;
- Rigor: Writing software that works as expected, by clarifying iteratively the underlying expectations and implementing them as automated tests and/or documentation;
- Durability: Writing software that is sustainable to maintain, by helping the team commit to shared programming and communication guidelines, and by promoting practices like TDD and pair/mob programming.
My objective is to help your software team (re)gain confidence, autonomy and serenity while creating (or sustaining) value for your business.
Note: I particularly enjoy contributing to open source projects.
In March, 2020, I joined the consulting agency SHODO to grow with a community of like-minded professionals and practice my skills as a Software Crafter.
As a contractor (through SHODO), I’m currently available for short missions only, until January 2022. (last update: 2021-09-20)
I am accustomed to work remotely, from Montreuil ~ Paris, France – in the CET timezone.
You want to work together? Contact me