My name is Adrien Joly (he/him), based in Paris, France (CET).
Software engineer since 2006, I have worked mainly with start-up companies.
I care about producing software that is both durable and useful, by aligning and retrospecting regularly with technical and functional collaborators.
On this page, I share the types of services I can provide to your business, my background, values and availability.
I can help your business by providing the following services:
- Software Craft: I design, develop and maintain durable web-based software products and data integration pipelines, by applying TDD/DDD/BDD methodologies and pair/mob programming;
- Renovation and maintenance of legacy software: I industrialize and modernize production software by reducing their technical debt, in order to increase their robustness, performance and/or improve the efficiency of development;
- Tech leadership: I help team-members grow and align their practices, to make sure that they can work efficiently and that the codebase stays clean;
- Strategic software consulting: I can act as an on-demand CTO, to audit your technical assets and provide recommendations on how to bootstrap or grow your business efficiently.
- Technical coaching: I can support the planning and animation of the cultural transformation of software teams. Custom training, pair coding on katas then on production code and/or coaching while contributing to an ongoing project.
Always fascinated by computers, I wrote my first scripts and programs at the age of 6. During my career, I carried several roles in various environments:
- Research engineer and researcher, respectively at Gemalto and Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs;
- Technical leader in several startup companies, including Whyd and Algolia;
- Teacher in several schools, including EEMI, ESGI and Web School Factory; (in Paris)
- and I have developed and maintained many products as a contractor and entrepreneur – mostly open-source.
In terms of technical stack and skills:
- I’ve been developing software with Node.js (mostly) since 2012, but I’m used to learn new technologies and to adapt to different environments and constraints.
- I know how to setup, develop and maintain a Web application across the stack: back-end & front-end development, automated testing, debugging, continuous integration, deployment, monitoring and other operations in production.
All my career, I’ve strived to grow as an efficient and accountable professional. As a person, I’m honest, open-minded and seek harmony – rather than competition – with my peers. I value people who share my thirst for life-long learning and sharing of knowledge.
I’m driven by:
- Relevance: Writing software that is useful, by taking the time to listen and understand the vision and goal of its owners and end-users;
- Pragmatism: Writing software efficiently, by discussing what’s the most impactful and lean next step we can implement towards reaching that goal;
- Rigor: Writing software that works as expected, by clarifying iteratively the underlying expectations and implementing them as automated tests and/or documentation;
- Durability: Writing software that is sustainable to maintain, by helping the team commit to shared programming and communication guidelines, and by promoting practices like TDD and pair/mob programming.
My objective is to help your software team (re)gain confidence, autonomy and serenity while creating (or sustaining) value for your business.
Note: I particularly enjoy contributing to open source projects and/or projects related to music or education.
In March, 2020, I joined the consulting agency SHODO to grow with a community of like-minded professionals and practice my skills as a Software Crafter.
As a contractor (through SHODO), I’m currently available for short missions only, until July 2021. (last update: 2021-04-19)
I am accustomed to work remotely, from Montreuil ~ Paris, France – in the CET timezone.
You want to work together? Contact me